Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Guess what we did!?


Real, sleep in a tent, bring your own water, pee in the wilderness kind of camping. Which really wouldn't be a big deal if you didn't factor in the tiny dirt eating humans we own. 

Mondays and Tuesdays are our 'weekends' - and Monday morning I woke up with a mission, it was a no holds barred - get me out of this house before I go crazy - kind of mission. 

So at 10a we decided to go camping. 

By 1p we were on the road.

To say we were a little nervous would have been an understatement. We had no clue what the next 24 hours would have in store for us, but we were up for it. I mean, what's the worse that could happen?

Lincoln was super chill, as always. I was worried about the temperature being too hot during the day and dipping really cold at night, but luckily as we climbed up the mountain the temperature started to drop and by the time we arrived it was a happy 85 degrees (much more tolerable than the 105 at home). Night time went great, Link was up once to eat, and it only dropped into the mid 60s.

Reagan did good, considering her MAJOR aversion to all things creepy crawly. She was so very very excited to go camping, but as we got further out into the wild her eyes grew with concern and at one point asked "but where are we going to sit?"

Once we got there she was in heaven! Loving it, running around, digging with sticks and exploring.

 The 'turn' happened right around dinner, the girls sat down to have a gourmet appetizer (Doritos) while Cody got hot dogs situated, and all of a sudden Reagan was all sorts of pouty and "but when will we go home?" Her excitement for sleeping in the tent had worn off and that was the last thing she wanted to do. Once we tucked into our beds she was right out, she woke only once at night and asked for me but fell right back asleep once she realized I was right next to her.

Carter. Oh Carter. She hands down had the best time out of us all. Girl was in her element, getting as dirty as she wanted, running around, tripping & falling every 4th step. Getting her to fall asleep was a challenge, but eventually she did. Until 4a, but I was able to convince her into climbing into our bed and we dozed for another 45 minutes before we were up to claim the day & by that I mean Cody was up to start coffee and make a fire.

Our sunset and sunrise were amazing! Pictures never quite do them justice.

Wildlife was abundant, including this elk that gave us a personal visit during the night. I heard him stomping around our tent and campsite and we even got to listen to him yelp for a few minutes in the early morning hours.

We saw lots of deer, a skunk, a rabbit and as we were leaving Cody and I decided to be 'most extreme' and howl - moments later a pack of coyotes/wolves? answered our call. It was a little unsettling but totally cool.

After our coffee and pancakes we packed up and headed out - given that we had such an early start to our day we were on the road at 7:30a. The drive couldn't have been more perfect (minus the brief dorito puke-up by CJ), the views were breathtaking and the children all quickly fell into a peaceful slumber.

All in all, this was a huge parenting victory for us. It's definitely intimidating to take three young children on a new adventure, the girls have such different personalities - we never know what we are going to get, kind of like a box of chocolates.


  1. You are officially my hero. Wonder mama hero. Just THINKING about this starts my blood pressure rising. You amaze me friend. Not to mention your adorable family and how gorgeously happy you look in the picture with your littles. I love you.

    1. Aw! Thank you sweet Mama!! Cody and I seriously felt like we could take on the world after this little adventure. And in all honesty 99% of the work of camping falls on Cody's shoulders especially when I have to take nursing breaks every time I turn around.